British police have shot a man dead and a number of people have been stabbed near London Bridge in what Scotland Yard has declared a “terror incident.”
A device strapped to the suspect was a hoax, the head of UK counter-terrorism policing said.
Metropolitan Police earlier said that a man had been detained. It was not immediately clear whether this was the same person who had been shot.
A spokesperson said: “At this stage, the circumstances relating to the incident at London Bridge remain unclear.
“However, as a precaution, we are currently responding to this incident as though it is terror-related. One man has been shot by police. We will provide further information when possible.”
They later added that “a number of people have been stabbed.”
Police were called at 1:58pm to a stabbing at premises near to London Bridge.
Emergency services attended, including officers from the Met and @CityPolice.
A man has been detained by police. We believe a number of people have been injured. Further info to follow.
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) November 29, 2019
Scores of people were seen running down St Thomas’ Street as the incident unfolded.
A video from the scene shows what appears to be police pulling equipment out of a vehicle nearby.
Those in the video can be heard saying: “They’ve actually got guns out. They’ve got the guns out.”
HuffPost UK saw police escorting people in Fishmongers Company uniforms out of a building, one “covered in” what was believed to be in someone else’s blood.
A staff member from the company told us he had seen an attacker with a “big knife” and that someone inside the building had been injured.
Unverified footage – apparently taken just outside the building – shows officers grappling with someone, and a man in a suit emerging moments later holding what appears to be a blade.
It is not yet clear where the incident started. An area stretching from London Bridge to Cannon Street is now cordoned off.
BBC footage from the scene shows officers and sniffer dogs investigating a large white lorry parked across three lanes of the road.
In a tweet, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was being kept updated on the incident.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: “Shocking reports from London Bridge. My thoughts are with those caught up in the incident. Thank you to the police and emergency services who are responding.”
Meanwhile, London mayor Sadiq Khan said: “Thank you to our brave emergency services who responded to today’s horrific attack. Every day they put their lives on the line for us – running towards danger in order to keep London safe.”